Get blog updates on Twitter

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

One of my favorite places

Is a cemetery. Mountain View Cemetery lies in the hills of Oakland, California. It was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, who designed among others, Central Park and Prospect Park in New York City. I guess that is why it feels more like a park than a cemetery; with it's winding roads and sweeping views. You can see the Bay and bridges from up there. I visited with a friend of mine right before we left Oakland to move to Austin. These photos are from that day. The Chapel of Chimes, which sits at the cemetery entrance, is a Julia Morgan building and is quite amazing too.

A little morbid hanging out in these places? Well, it just reminds me that we're not here forever so I better make the best of the time I have.

See more work: http://www.smcintyre.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment